Sunday, November 17, 2013

3rd Grade Spelling Bee Dilemma

People usually tend to view speaking in front of a crowd of people is a frightening situation because of many reasons. First, people do not practice speaking in public. They have not used to speak reasonably and choose proper words in daily conversations with their friends and families. So they fear to fail their first experience in front of a large audience. Second, People feel scared, uncomfortable, and alone when standing on a stage with everyone's eyes focused on them and judging them. These feelings make them nervous and unable to perform effectively. Finally, some people simply do not know how to write and prepare for a reasonable speech. Thus, they lose confidence and the flow of their speech.

The first time I spoke in front of a large group of people, I was unconscious. It was the 3rd grade spelling bee. During the bee, I avoided looking at the librarian, who was giving out words. When it was reciting time, I remained speechless for a few seconds. My mouth was dry. Finally, as I could recite, my voice came out awkward and choked, but I continued carelessly. While engaging in my spelling, the librarian pressed the buzzer. The very sound of the buzzer gave me goose bumps. I had not even mentioned all the letters. Going to my seat, I became on the verge of tears. For the rest of the bee, I kept getting angrier with myself. “Why did not I manage my time up there on the stage effectively?” I thought to myself. "You did your best, it was a good effort.", the librarian said. When I heard that, I felt comfortable and more enthusiastic to perform better  and go on to win later in fourth grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment